[Gimp-user] Image Capture

Because when I use the fuzzy tool it invariably selects some of the
book as well. I'm sorry to be dense, but none of the methods are
working for me. Thank you for your kindness

Fuzzy select the background? Wrong tool to use for the type of image you posted.
You would use that with a plain colour background.

The example I gave just traces the book outline using the free select tool,
could not be simpler.

There are any number of ways to remove that background. From really basic  -
just use the eraser tool (carefully) - to probably what I would use, a layer
mask and paint out the background.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)