Re: [Gimp-user] Quicker way to audition fonts?

Liam R E Quin writes:
Greg Chapman via gimp-user-list wrote:
I think he's looking for a tool that allows him to enter a phrase
and then display that in all available fonts

Yes, use a font manager for that. Fontmatrix is the most featureful on
Linux probably (but has some extremely dubious features); there's also
a gtkfontmanager that's easier to use but does less.

I used to need this a lot, and I found fontmatrix impenetrable and
couldn't find anything else that really did what I wanted, so I
wrote a little Python script, Fontasia, that also lets you group
your fonts into groups you choose, like script, monospace, computer etc.
http://shallowsky.com/software/fontasia/
https://github.com/akkana/scripts/blob/master/fontasia

While inside GIMP, I use Windows->Dockable Dialogues->Fonts
as has already been mentioned, and use the down-arrow in that
dialog to step through fonts. If I'm not sure, I'll use Duplicate
Layer, turn off one of the duplicate layers then continue stepping
through fonts with the later that's still visible, so I end up
with several text layers showing the same text in different fonts.

        ...Akkana