[Gimp-user] Open PDFs, keep original clarity

I have 12 PDFs of pictures of a map. I want to use GIMP or any other program to
stitch the pictures together.

When I open the PDFs in GIMP, the pictures have bad enough clarity that I
cannot read the words in the pictures anymore. I need to be able to read the
words in the pictures so that the map is usable.

I want to bring the PDFs into GIMP, or another program that I can use in Linux,
to stitch them together. I want the clarity of the pictures to be high quality
and file size is not an issue.

How do I do this?

As long as the original PDFs have clear letters, you should be able to do it
with the right import settings. Take a look at the dialog box I've
screenshotted. You need to use large enough resolution numbers. You may also
want to check the Use Anti-aliasing checkbox.

Just note too that as a basic matter, GIMP cannot edit or concatenate what I'd
call a 'clean' or 'true' PDF. Such PDFs contain vector graphics (geometric
instructions on how to draw the graphics and text). To important these into
GIMP, it has to convert the vector graphics into raster graphics (basically
bitmaps). That conversion will cause at least a little quality loss unless done
at exactly the resolution needed for final use. But done properly, the loss
should be minimal.

There are other PDFs that are basically already wrappers for raster graphics.
Somewhat more quality loss is basically inevitable, but if done right, should be
minimal.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/956/original/GIMP_PDF_import.jpg

--