[Gimp-user] cannot get new brushes mac

I have been trying to follow the tutorials, but have not had any luck.  I
downloaded a new brush with a ending of .png.  I am running MacOS Sierra.  I
just downloaded GIMP and want to add some brushes.  I am completely perplexed
after trying to find files and such for the last four hours.
I am not a super tech expert so do not know how to dig into code.  Is there an
easy way to do this?  I think I was able to export and change them to .gbr and I
thought I finally found a brushes folder to put them in (they are in there), but
nothing shows up on the main program.

Help!

--
muskiebaird (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)