[Gimp-user] Can't copy and paste into same layer?

Ok, so I figured out how to paste a floating layer onto an existing layer - but
it becomes a part of the layer and I can't move it around anymore. I thought I
saw in another paid program the ability to move multiple objects around in a
single layer - is that not possible with the gimp? Seems like a basic function
to me that is a huge time saver is lacking - having to mouse into each layer
before you move an object is really frustrating and time consuming

--
Maisie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)