[Gimp-user] can't move layers - the selection is empty

This is like a weird gimp virus that has slowly taken over all my
files on two different PCs.

While a layer is clearly visible, when i use the Move Tool, it won't
let me move it.  there is a circle with a bar that appears when i
hover over it.  underneath is says The Selection is Empty.

i tried Alt, Ctrl Alt, Shift etc.
The float option is greyed out.
i tried selct all and then float, still the same problem.

Anyone else?  All of my layers have become immovable.

Steve

The move tool is in the wrong mode. Select the first icon in the move tool
options - layer mode

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1064/original/layer_mode.jpg

--