Re: [Gimp-user] Sinc (Lanczos3) Option

On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 11:13 -0700, Lisa D. via gimp-user-list wrote:
Hi! I would like to stretch/resize an image without distorting it.

This depends on exactly what you mean by distorting it. By default GIMP
will retain the aspect ratio of the original ratio, but maybe that's
not what you meant?

I found an article stating that
you need
GIMP 2.4 to do this because you need to use the “Sinc (Lanczos3)”
option

GIMP 2.10 has LoHalo and NoHalo instead. For enlarging an image,
though, the third-party Resynthesizer plugin might do a better job.

Does anyone know of a
site
like this that is, in fact, safe and trustworthy? Or another way to
get
2.4?

For which Linux distribution and which CPU architecture?

I have Windows 10, in case it helps to know that.

Oh. No, that doesn't help.

It might be that archive.org has saved a copy, but i doubt it.

In any case, it's unlikely that gimp 2.4 with lanczos scaling will do
better than gimp 2.10 in practice. I'd need to see what you're doing
inmuch more detail to be sure or to be able to suggest a better
approach.

Remember that when yuo try to make an image larger you are asking the
computer to invent detail that isn't already present.

Liam (slave ankh)