[Gimp-user] color.org

On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 19:29:16 +0000
gimp-user-list-request gnome org wrote:

hi gabriele,
color management has been a mystery on many a list. i had a discussion on
the scribus list many years ago when i mentioned my solution to my color
management problems. i was told i was wrong, that i needed to calibrate all
of my hardware and make a profile of each. i was a photojournalist in a
former life and i teach photography with emphasis on light and lighting and
color temperature.

when i first embarked on my color theory journey, i was designing brochures
and flyers as a freelancer for a company in new orleans, la that did
meeting and convention planning (as well as designing their web site).
after much research and question asking, i lit upon color.org. i went there
and downloaded 2 color profiles (sRGB_IEC61966-2-1_no_black_scaling and
SWOP2006_Coated3v2). i later ran across a cmyk profile when i used linux
and saved that profile. these color profiles have the same d50 color temp
(5000k). with progress, the rgb profiles at color.org are at version 4; i
have not tested these profiles.

here are my hardware and software setup for my systems (win, mac and
linux). i copy the two color profiles to the appropriate profile folders
according to the os and set them as the default color profiles for the
system. then i set the rgb and cmyk profiles as default in all of my
graphic software. i also set the rgb and cmyk profiles as default to
printers, scanners and other hardware attached to the system that uses
color profiles.

i will usually make a "straight" print to preview what changes in color,
exposure, shadow, mid-tone and highlights need to be made. i have found the
color does not vary much from what the thumbnail on the screen presents.

i would be happy to provide these profiles to you or anyone else on the
list if you send me a private email; unless, the administrators will allow
the attached profiles.

i would be interested to learn if your results are similar to mine. there
is much more to color management that i did not say to the argument that
was raised on the scribus list.

i hope this helps you find your way on your journey in the land of color
management.

many greetings
kdd

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 4:46 AM, Gabriele Piccini <dafrasaga gmail com>