[Gimp-user] GIMP started crashing on "create new image" with Runtime error

Today all of a sudden GIMP started crashing while creating and saving a file
with error:
"Runtime Error! Program: c:\...gimp-2.8.exe this application has requested the
runtime to terminate it in an unusual way ... etc..."
This never happened before!
Yet I can open up a recent file - but I cannot save a file!
I re-installed GIMP with a fresh download from original site - but it didn't
make a difference.
How can I fix this?

I'm running a win10 x64.
I've been using GIMP for over a year and it's always worked fine.

--
Nic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)