Re: [Gimp-user] Adding color to file

On 10/06/2017 12:39 AM, Guy Stalnaker wrote:
I'd like to suggest an alternative method for coloring an image that has
some great advantages.

Use layers with masks!

<snip>
    5. Add new layer
       1. Fill with a color you want for some part of your image
       2. Give layer name (e.g., face, jacket, etc.)
       3. Set the Mode to Soft light, or some other appropriate Mode (in the
       example Soft Light lets the background show through)
<snip>

Hope this is as helpful for you, if you have not used this technique
before, as it was, and has been, to me.

I agree with Guy, this approach - which he describes perfectly - is a wonderful way to add color to an image. Soft light is a good blend mode, probably the best for GIMP 2.8, and useful in any image editor.

If you have access to GIMP-2.9 (preferably GIMP-2.9.6), there are some new blend modes, specifically the LCH blend modes, which I use (a lot) for coloring/recoloring black and white images. If you might be interested, I wrote up an introductory tutorial which has a simple example of adding color in Part C: https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/gimp-lch-blend-modes.html

Best,
Elle