Re: [Gimp-user] Microsoft on-screen keyboard doesn't work with gimp 2.8

I gave it a test on my system (GIMP 2.8.22; Windows 10 64-bit, native 'Touch Keyboard' ) and witnessed the
following:

- When a GUI control has the focus (e.g. text input box in any toolbox), everything works normally.

- When the main image canvas/window has the focus, only *character* keys seem to work; *navigation* keys
(arrows, backspace) do not.  Spacebar does not work either, and this one's kind of critical to have when
actually performing text entry.

- For the Text tool specifically, its on-canvas toolbox elements work fine but general text entry has the
above-mentioned problem (the lack of a responding Spacebar renders the OSK practically worthless here).

- Keyboard shortcuts work normally (e.g. Ctwl+W to close active window, P to switch to Paintbrush).  However,
only Ctrl and/or Shift based shortcuts work as the OSK does not feature an Alt key; you cannot, for example,
move between image tabs/windows with their default mappings.

For a comparison, I tested the OSK in Inkscape and could not find any problems whatsoever, although the OSK
does not include a row for Function keys (used to switch tools).

On an aside, I noticed that when selecting certain tools via keyboard (Perspective, Scale, Shear, etc.) they
'activate' (i.e. canvas overlay and settings dialog appears) immediately and the dialog receives focus (i.e.
you cannot switch off the tool using keyboard).  This does not happen when selecting tools via mouse -- is
that a bug?  It can be worked around quickly enough by cancelling the tool's dialogue but mind that the OSK
does not include an Esc key.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com