Re: [Gimp-user] Microsoft on-screen keyboard doesn't work with gimp 2.8

Hi!

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM, stephen burton
<steveburtonx yahoo co uk> wrote:
Thanks Jehan for helping me out. To be honest, I'm not a developer, merely
in newbe using gimp for a very short time. I didn't know about the GTK+
project. It looks very exciting, might not be a programmer I don't know how
to use it.

No problem, you don't have to be a developer to create with GIMP. ;-)
I am not proposing you to "use" GTK+. GIMP uses GTK+, not you. I was
just wondering if you also had other software which also use GTK+.
But if you don't know, it's ok. Don't worry.

With the Microsoft on-screen keyboard what appears not to be working on the
simple modifier keys. For example I 't use control X. I have to use cut from
the edit menu. The Microsoft on-screen keyboard so works with any text
field, for example I can enter a file name, but when a save it I can't use
CONTROL C to save it. I can't use shift all the ALT key to modify a
selection.

I'm not sure how you mean your explanations. Are you saying for
instance that you want to use ctrl-x (with the on-screen keyboard) to
cut, but you currently can't, and you have to go through the menu? And
if so, why: doesn't the on-screen keyboard appear? Is it available,
but clicking control-x does not cut anything?
Some more details would be useful to understand the issues.

Usually the way to report bugs is doing step by step procedures, then
end with the expected result and actual result.
For instance, here is what it could be with the ctrl-x example (which
may be wrong regarding your issue since I'm not sure I understand what
you are saying).

Reproduction steps:
1/ Select part of an image.
2/ Hit ctrl + x in the on-screen keyboard

Expected result: the select piece of image should be cut.
Actual result: nothing happens.

I see you that there are a number of books referenced in the GTK + project
documentation. Do you know if there are reputable by a non-programmer mind?

No as I said above, you don't have to read books about GTK+. This is a
code library for programmers to make usage of. Don't bother with this.
I just wanted to know if other GTK+ program had the same issues you
were experiencing. And if so, it would probably mean the problem lies
in GTK+ code.

As you can imagine, to have to keep returning to the gimp menu for even
simple tasks is rather exhausting, especially because I work the mouse with
my nose.

I perfectly understand this. I hope we can find the reasons for your issue.
Just explain step by step what happens on your screen as explained
above. Assume that we don't know at all what you are seeing and what
you are expecting (which is the actual case), especially since most of
us don't have the need to use an on-screen keyboard as you do; and
moreover most developers of GIMP don't even use Windows as a daily OS.
So we don't really know what one who use Windows and an on-screen
keyboard expects.

Many thanks for listening.

You are welcome.

Steve