[Gimp-user] Toggle Visibility of two layers

Try the attached script - put it in your personal scripts folder - search the
internet for where this folder is depending on the operating system you use.

I have only tested the script quickly so if you find any problems let me know.

The script should appear in the Layer menu as Toggle Top Layers Visibility

I was going to make it toggle the visibility of the specified number of top
layers based on the visibility of the top layer but have made it more flexible
by inverting their visible flags on a layer by layer basis. Set the visibility
of the layers to one of the desired set-ups to start with then use the script.

If you aren't using any other scripts then pressing Ctrl F (at least on Windows)
will repeat the script and toggle the states of the layers.

You can also select the layer that will be active when the top layer is visible
and the layer that will be active when it is invisible

Hope this helps

Hi Everyone,

I've been struggling with this for a couple of days and have had no
success finding a practical solution. What I want to do is toggle the
visibility of two layers (out of three total) with a single keystroke.
The reason is that for my work I need to rapidly toggle the visibilty
of both layers while quickly editing one of the layers. I've already
tried a few things:

1) Layer groups. This seemed promising, but in practice it slows
things down way too much. I can group the two layers together and
toggle the visibilty of them both with a hotkey, but the issue is I
have to have the whole group selected to do so. So, in order to
quickly edit something in one layer, I have to click one of the layers
in the sidebar, make the edit, then go back and select the group to
regain the ability to rapidly toggle visibility of both layers. I'm
constantly going back and forth between editing a layer and toggling
visibility way too much for this to be practical.

2) Linking layers. I thought maybe linking the two layes would allow
me to have only one layer selected for editing while being able to
toggle both layers. Not the case - too bad.

3) A script. I was reading elsewhere that this could potentially be
solved with a script that toggles the visibilty of both layers,
perhaps triggered by a keystroke. I'm really not familiar enough with
GIMP to do this. This could be a potential solution, so if anyone has
any advice on how to do this, that would be amazing.

If anyone knows of any other solution to this, I would be sooo happy.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Best,
SegDaltonico

Attachments: