[Gimp-user] how to change image resolution without effecting scale within the image itself using gimp as in retaining the roundness of the moon

Thanks to all for the input, but since there was like 'zero' negative
space for the image, cropping of any sort didn't really work.

What I ended up doing was selecting the moon with the 'elliptical'
tool (from the new 1920 x 1080 image) then copying and pasting it into
a 'new' file. From here I created a circular moon to my liking. I then
copied and pasted it over top of the existing 'ovalish' moon in my
1920 x 1080 image. With some cloning of the surrounding areas to get
rid of the 'oval' moon remnants, I completed the image. It is now a
1920 x 1080 image with a circular moon, and ready for a my desktop as
a wallpaper.

It works, I guess. I'm sure the other parts of the image are stretched
also, but I can live with those, I guess.

Seems like there should be a way to do this, what seems to be a
somewhat simple task.
I've heard of .svg (scaleable vector graphics) files that supposedly
allow for changing image size while keeping everything the same within
the image, but I have no experience with such files.

Here are my before and after images.

Attachments:
*
http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/526/original/HALLOWEEN_TRICK_OR_TREATERS____ORIGINAL__1024_X_768_).jpg