Re: [Gimp-user] plug in for gimp in Ubuntu

...I think JohnHaley wished to add the plug-in BIMP to his already-existing GIMP application...

I do not see  BIMP in my repositories, so apparently one needs to download the source from:
http://www.alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/

and then create binary from that and then add it to the GIMP plugin directories (for locations see
your Edit->Preferences, and expand the Folders section, looking for Plug-ins (probably) or Scripts (possibly)
 ).

https://github.com/alessandrofrancesconi/gimp-plugin-bimp/issues/56
and
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2241274

show how to "make" the binary and "...Install" it in your system.

Note: they both indicate that a couple of libraries need to be present on your system for this to work.
Both files were available in my repo.s (for Lubuntu 16.10), so that should not be an issue for you.

If the above sites are not clear enough or there are problems, just Google "BIMP for Ubuntu", as I did,
and you will probably find what you need.