[Gimp-user] 16-bit: Photivo and Gimp

Hi,

I have Gimp 2.8.16 (Ubuntu 16.04) and I'm trying to edit a 16-bit
image the following way:

1 - Import DNG file into Photivo;
2 - Make adjustments
3 - Open the resulting image in Gimp
4 - Save tiff file

When I edit the Gimp resulting tif file with mediainfo, it says it is
a 8-bit image.

How can I edit and save 16-bit images.

Gimp 2.8.x is 8 bit only. Wait for Gimp 2.10 or use the development version Gimp
2.9.x

For 'buntu and derivatives this is easily installed using a PPA. see

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge

Updates frequently but is quite stable and usable. This will replace the
existing Gimp 2.8.16 installation.

It is possible to run both if the 2.9 is a 'portable' application. There are a
few around.

Search for appimage. There is a 2.9.3 here that should work in most linux
https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/  and
https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/GIMP

I keep an up-to-date 2.9.5 assembled in 'buntu 16.04 that should work in your
installation. Nothing guaranteed though. see

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Portable-Gimp-2-9-5-for-linux

Used to be a fan of photivo, but development seems to have stalled in 2015. The
gimp plugin stopped working for me. There are other tools, RawTherapapee for
example. If you have photivo from the dhor/myway PPA it is there for
installation.

example in kubuntu 16.04 http://i.imgur.com/tbPx1QP.jpg (but using nUFRaW)

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--