[Gimp-user] Move a portion of an image

Rich,
That last procedure works nicely.  I greatly appreciate the detailed help and
also the photos and the video that you were so generous to provide.  It has
taken me a few days to reply to your last post, since I have been distracted by
other things and trying to understand why things work the way they do in Gimp.

The first time I followed your procedure, I thought it worked exactly like your
video.  Since then when I have repeated it, I am left with a transparent area
where the removed area of the letter used to be.  (I have just recently learned
how to add a layer containing the background color and flatten the layers, so
this is not a problem.)  It appears that your procedure works exactly as in the
video when the image is from a .JPG file, but when the image is from a .XCF file
it leaves a transparent area.

I still do not understand why the first procedure you gave me does not work.  I
am interested in it because I had a similar problem with the intuitive procedure
I was trying to use before I asked for help.  Specifically I would like to
understand why it would lock up so that I was not able to do anything in the
image area.  Maybe there is not a simple answer to that question.  If not then I
need to make sure I do not lose the link to this topic so I can come back to it
and have the exact procedure, in case I have a problem like this in the future.

I cannot thank you enough for your help.
Lloyd

--
LloydEwing (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)