[Gimp-user] Move a portion of an image

I need to move a selected part of an image in relation to the rest of
the image.  I have spent several hours reading forum posts and trying
various things, and I still cannot find a way to do this.

The portion I need to move is a line drawing and I can select it and
move the selected area, but I cannot find a way to make the new
location of the selected area appear on the drawing.  The lines in the
drawing are several pixels wide.  The only practical way I have found
to select the area to move is by using fuzzy select to make an outline
of the lines I need to move, and that seems to work well enough.
Holding down the Ctrl and Alt keys allows me to move the selected
area, but it leaves behind a grey copy of the selected area.  The
selected area cannot be removed by clicking -> Select -> None.  I
tried using the Bucket Fill tool to put the foreground color in the
new selected area but that does not seem to have any affect.

I hope someone can help.  Thanks very much,
Lloyd

Without seeing you image, it is all a bit of a guess and depending on what is
there, determines how you edit.

However, a selection by fuzzy or colour usually leaves out the anti-aliasing
(semi-transparent) pixels

1. Grow the selection by one or two pixels to include them Select -> Grow

screenshot http://i.imgur.com/sZy5Fl5.jpg

2. That should give you something like http://i.imgur.com/3KqXUJq.jpg which you
can copy Edit -> Copy or ctrl-c

3. Paste that as a new layer Edit -> Paste As -> New Layer
http://i.imgur.com/f5OWFoY.jpg It might have a border of background coloured
pixels, which might need extra processing.

4. When it comes to filling in the selected out line with bucket fill, make sure
'fill whole selection' is enabled. http://i.imgur.com/xOriccU.jpg but an
alternative is just paint over with a brush.

5. When it comes to moving the pasted layer with the move tool, make sure you
click on a solid part of the layer or enable move active layer as:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/HOrKk7G.jpg[/img]

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)