[Gimp-user] Text input difficulties in GIMP dialogue boxes - please help

I'm using GIMP 2.8.4 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

When I input text into GIMP, for example into a text layer, or changing the
contents of filename in 'save as' box, the text is treated as a keyboard
shortcut, rather than as input into the text.

For example;
In an open GIMP document I double click on a text layer, select the text
tool and click in the existing text. I can select existing text, I can
delete existing text, but if I type, then typing 'a' opens the airbrush,
'f' opens the free select tool etc
If I 'save as' and try to change the filename, I cannot type into the box,
but when I try, I can see changes happening behind the dialogue box, which
suggest that, again, it is being read as a keyboard shortcut.

I've had some success with a workaround by pasting text from openoffice
into the text editor, but it's pretty clunky - I have to go back to that
external application, and also create a new text layer if I want to change
part of an existing text layer.

I'm quite confused by this, and grateful for any suggestions as to how to
fix it, many thanks.

I had the same problem with a previous version of GIMP - updating has made
no difference.
I don't have this problem with any other software