Re: [Gimp-user] When black and white is not black and white

I'll take a stab at this, but other more knowledgeable people may weigh in: as I understand color theory, the notion that there is a canonical equivalent grayscale value for every color is somewhat of a fallacy; any such translation relies on pyscho-perceptual assumptions about how we perceive different colors. As a result, translating from a color image to a B&W image is somewhat of an art (heavily informed by lots of research).

I'm not intimately familiar with the various algorithmic options in GIMP to do this conversion, but different options use different methods, as you seem to have found. I'm guessing, but: sliding the saturation to zero likely applies a standard transformation to go from RGB to HSV, then sets "V" to zero, and then translates back to RGB. This may involve different assumptions and techniques than "mode -> grayscale" which might do a more (or less) subtle transformation.

Here's another detailed link on the subject: https://patdavid.net/2012/11/getting-around-in-gimp-black-and-white.html

I'm fond of the "C2G" GEGL filter (which in the latest GIMP betas is under Colors -> Desaturate -> Color to Gray, but in older versions is apparently under Tools -> GEGL Operation (see the tutorial)), but it does a bit more than just convert the colors.

Also, a minor pedantic note: Colors -> Hue-Saturation -> slide-saturation-to-zero doesn't technically change the image to a grayscale image, as it's still an RGB image internally. And other exotic methods of making an image "black and white" might actually preserve some imperceptible amount of color information in the pixels to achieve the effect. (I think I've read about that, but can't cite anything off hand.)

-c