Re: [Gimp-user] how to darken bright areas

On 01/05/2017 06:55 AM, paulhurm wrote:

If you read a previous reply of mine, you might recall that my very original
scans are TrueColor and that the one I posted here has definitely been played
with in other apps and is might not be my best starting point.

Would you suggest going back to my original scan and starting from there?

Definitely.  Every format conversion and every edit made will degrade
the information in the original files from the scanner, which were
imperfect to start with.

When I open my original scan in GIMP I get a message to the effect that the
original contains an embedded color profile of "KODAK Srgb" and it asks if I
want to convert the image to the RGB working space (sRGB built-it).

In general what do you think is the best path to take?

I would do the conversion.

Should I then work with that "color" image before converting to BW at the end
(or somewhere) or should I convert to BW (or grey) first???

That would depend on whether there is enough color contrast between the
noise introduced by decomposition of the images, and the original image
content you are trying to restore.  If so, you may be able to make
global selections by color to isolate noise elements, or apply filter
functions that affect only the areas identified as "noise" by their
color.  But I suspect this is probably not the case.