Re: [Gimp-user] HELP Cannot open raw pictures in Gimp

What ofnuts said. :)

I'd also recommend using a RAW editor from Nikon for your specific camera.
CNXD (Capture-NXD) is free and should get the most out of your camera's RAW
data. Once you are done and wish to do further pixel level editing, User
File -> Open With and register GIMP as your pixel editor. Then the image
will open in GIMP.

You can also download one of my builds (portable or otherwise). The 2.9
series comes with PhotoFlow as the default RAW editor.

Hope this helps.