Re: [Gimp-user] Need help removing/replacing a color

On 12/31/2016 01:33 PM, RunSebastian wrote:
Several ways to get some sort of result. Try:

Duplicate layer
Desaturate (luminosity) the top layer
Add a layermask to the top (desaturated) layer
Paint (carefully) in black to uncover the red areas, white to cover up
again.
see: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html

When complete save as a gimp xcf to retain layers, mask etc. When
happy, export as a png / or ...whatever.

attached xcf as example.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

I got it!  Thank you so much for your help!  :)

You came to the right place.  I <3 this list!

I found learning to use layer masks effectively one of the more "tricky"
things when learning how to use the GIMP.

You will find relevant tutorials all over the place, including videos,
thanks to the GIMP's fast growing worldwide user base.

This intro I wrote includes my own attempt to make the basics of layer
masks easy to see, and a few odds and ends you might find interesting.

http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html

Another annoyance I encountered was the time and energy wasted by
constantly changing brushes when doing precision work.

This is my solution to that:

There are two major classes of GIMP brush:  GBR brush
files are bitmaps, fixed in size and hardness.  VBR brush files are
vectors, with variable size and hardness that can be changed "on the
fly" with keyboard + mouse commands while using the brushes.

Here's a set of VBR brushes I made; they cover over 90% of my own uses
for brush tools in the GIMP; I named them to assure that they appear at
the top of the list in the Brushes dialog:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/Variable-Brushes.zip

Drop them into your /brushes folder, and viola.

Preview:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/brushes.png

:o)

Steve