Re: [Gimp-user] Scaling Font Without Changing Layer Type

On 23/02/17 22:54, AbsurdBlackBear wrote:
I was wondering if there is a way to scale font in GIMP without changing the
layer type. For example, I would like to change a font's horizontal size while
still being able to add more font to that layer. Is there a plugin that would
allow me to do this?

None I know of. The best thing you can do is have a horizontal guide to make sure everything is aligned, and put the parts of text you want to stretch in separate text layers. To stretch them, don't use the scale tool directly because this will slightly but visibly blur the edges. Use Layer>Text to path, scale the path(*), and these use that path as a selection that you fill on a new layer. Then hide the source text layer.

(*) Easy technique for this: duplicate the text layer, mark it "linked", and mark the path "linked" too. Then scale the duplicate layer, which will scale the path due to the links. Then discard the duplicate layer. You can also duplicate the path directly but this can be cumbersome because you'll be scaling something as big as a the image instead of scaling a layer.

--

http://www.gimp-forum.net