[Gimp-user] Script Help - Basic Macro

You could try using the following function calls:

gimp-get-active-layer
gimp-layer-copy (returns the ID of the new layer)
gimp-set-active-layer (not sure if you will need this)
whatever functions you need to make the required changes
I was only using the console to work out what commands I needed; typing the
commands manually into the console each time would be even slower than doing
everything manually by mouse-clicking the menu items.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

gimp-image-merge-down

To get started I would use the browse function in the console to get
details of the functions and their associated parameters (you can type
part of what you are looking for in the search box - for instance try
just typing layer and see what you get) but I would advise typing the
script into a .scm (or .py) file rather than having to keep entering
data into the console - that saves time and typing.

Once you have made an edit to a .scm file you either have to restart
GIMP to use the new version of the file or use "Filters/Script
Fu/Refresh Scripts"

The error messages can be a little cryptic but using gimp-message can
help to track down problems.

Look at the existing scripts in (on my PC) C:\Program Files\GIMP
2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts - search these files (or on the net) for the
functions you want to use. Possibly use one of the files as the basis
for your own script.

--
adreasler (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)