[Gimp-user] Having trouble creating transparent background

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did as you suggested and I'm pleased with the
result. It was a painstaking process, though. I had to enlarge the image,
sometimes to 400%, to be able to see it clearly enough to make the necessary
changes. Editing the background was delicate work as I had to be careful not to
make the photo transparent. There was much trial and error involved. There's
still a very slight bit of jaggedness on the perimeter of the photo, but
fortunately it's not so noticeable at magnifications less than 50%. Also,
fortunately, any imperfections in the exported image (including those I didn't
eliminate in the photo itself that I considered minor, although I may go back
and do that later) should become more insignificant once I place my photo on the
background photo I mentioned.

Incidentally, I previously tried that approach, adding a layer mask, that is. I
had found the YouTube video you referred to. That time, though, I thought the
approach failed because after the first attempt, there were spots and faint
lines on the background, even thought I thought the whole background was
transparent. After that first attempt I gave up. This time I was careful to
paint over the blemishes and I eventually eliminated them.

Perhaps you can help me with this too. What are your thoughts about blurring the
background image after I place my photo over it? Will it enhance or detract from
the combined image? I ask this because I based my photo theme on a Wordpress
template when I took my photo, and the template photo features a model against a
blurred background of office buildings. The model stands out distinctly in the
photo, and it looks very professional.

Gary Krupa

No problem.  There is no one-step push button method; cleanly
separating
an object in a photograph from its background always takes some
tweaking.  But we have ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfRVEC2cmY

True confession:  I almost started to write instructions before I
thought to look for a video tutorial.

Handy household hint:  While painting bits of your foreground object
in
and out of visibility, you can quickly switch from white to black by
putting the brush over a visible or transparent part of your image in
progress, hold down the Alt key, and click once.  That will set the
brush color to whatever was under the center of the brush when you
clicked on the canvas.

All done?  Crop your image with the Crop tool, save it as an XCF file
so
you can make modifications later if desired, scale it to suit and
Export
to PNG.  Viola.  (I would take care not so Save the scaled version as
XCF, which would over-write and destroy the original scale image you
worked on.)

:o)

--
Accordeoniste (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)