[Gimp-user] GIMP doesn't recognise common file type (Mac OS)

I’ve recently installed Partha’s GIMP 2.95 std DMG based on commit c2e3d64. Although the original version of
the program worked flawlessly, this one doesn’t recognise typical image files such as jpg, jpeg, png etc.
When I try to open any such fileI am greeted by a dialogue stating “… Unknown file type”

Subsequently, I also installed Partha’s GIMP-CCE (commit edfde33) version . Same problem: “… Unknown file
type”

I’ve no idea how to overcome this. Could somebody please give me a clue as to what I must do? “Thanks" in
advance.