[Gimp-user] How to create sharp text image suitable for photobook?

I'm putting together a photobook using one of the numerous, popular
sites for this. However, no company supports non-ascii characters in
their text tool.

So, I'm creating a transparent image with just text in GIMP. However,
as soon as I dump the image into the photo book editor, the text looks
ok at first, but scaling to 200% viewing, it's clearly getting
distorted and I worry the actual printing won't hold up:

https://imgur.com/a/tcrx3

I want to maintain really sharp text because some of the details are
clearly getting lost which are pretty important with the Thai
language.

I keep increasing the image parameters to get something that looks
sharp in a really big and then scaling down from that but it's not
working  - for the text box, I'm at 10" x 4" canvas size with 1,000
ppi with 150 px font size... The image in the screenshot is a 292KB
gif image using those dimensions which I would hope would have been
sufficient, but it's clearly not.

Any suggestions you can offer for settings?

Using one of the on-line providers for the photobook? Some have an off-line
application but the same comments apply. It is just a representation of the
final product. Might be good, might be awful. All you can do is provide as good
images as possible.

This example using 20 cm x 15 cm photobook template. In Gimp that is 2362 x 1772
pixels @ 300 ppi. Gimp is a raster editor, uses pixels and 300 ppi is generally
accepted as suitable for quality printing.

You could incorporate the text into the image itself. Add depth and then the
text. If you use png format then transparency is maintained. Not jpeg, it loses
transparency and introduces artefacts to text.

However from your post the text is separate to retain the background. Again use
png format with transparency. Gif will look very 'blocky / jagged'.

Make the text a suitable size for your Photobook. Any scaling on site will
degrade the image. The example text is 1800x400 pix for the 20x15 cm book
format. Font does matter, keep it simple.

Back to the comment at the top, the on-line preview does look horrible. Provided
the printer does not scramble anything (no guarantee there) the print should be
ok.

example: https://i.imgur.com/4VuiWhF.jpg

You could ask the printer for a sample. Unlikely to get one, otherwise check
reviews for customer comments

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)