[Gimp-user] How to create sharp text image suitable for photobook?

I'm putting together a photobook using one of the numerous, popular sites for
this. However, no company supports non-ascii characters in their text tool.

So, I'm creating a transparent image with just text in GIMP. However, as soon as
I dump the image into the photo book editor, the text looks ok at first, but
scaling to 200% viewing, it's clearly getting distorted and I worry the actual
printing won't hold up:

https://imgur.com/a/tcrx3

I want to maintain really sharp text because some of the details are clearly
getting lost which are pretty important with the Thai language.

I keep increasing the image parameters to get something that looks sharp in a
really big and then scaling down from that but it's not working  - for the text
box, I'm at 10" x 4" canvas size with 1,000 ppi with 150 px font size... The
image in the screenshot is a 292KB gif image using those dimensions which I
would hope would have been sufficient, but it's clearly not.

Any suggestions you can offer for settings?

--
H508 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)