[Gimp-user] White background instead of transparent

I want to make a transparent background, so first I go layer - transparency -
add alpha channel.

I select around my image and then go select - invert selection. Then I delete
the background

I am left with the image I want and the transparent checkerboard background just
like how I've done it for years

When I got the export I export as PNG my image has a white background instead of
a transparent one..

I was having no trouble with this, yesterday it worked just fine, this just
started today so I re installed gimp. Maybe something in my registry is
corrupted.

--
stefanped (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)