Re: [Gimp-user] Problem with Gimp file search feature

On 04/25/2017 02:06 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:
On 2017-04-24 Mon 23:04, Mark Morin wrote:
Using gimp 2.8 on the latest incarnation of Windows 10, I tried to use
the search feature in "File|Open."

1. I couldn't specify a path to search.

2. I got this error message: The program was not able to create a
connection to the indexer daemon.  Please make sure it is running.

My Windows indexing service is running. Does the gimp have it's own
indexer daemon? Could the *.gif.lnk file point to an entry in the index?

My_*preferred way to open a graphic is to use windows explorer to browse
to the file*_, right click and select "open with." gimp should be on the
list but if it isn't there are prompts to add it.
A suggestion - use (free) Everything from www.voidtools.com - it will
instantly locate any file anywhere on your file system. As you can in
normal explorer you can right-click and get access to full explorer
context menu. Note: the "beta" version on voidtools.com is (IMO)
rock-solid and adds instant sorting (by column click) on any date column
- sometimes very useful.

Years ago I used Irfanview as an image file manager on a Windows XP
system with waaay to many images to keep track of otherwise, and it
worked very well.  Set the GIMP as default "editor" in Irfanview and
viola, instant easy access for editing.  Irfanview most likely remains
far superior to Microsoft's default image viewer.

I have always found the default behavior of Windows Explorer -
displaying thumbnails of image files instead of file type icons - very
annoying.  Opening a directory with a few hundred image files is like
stepping in glue - sit and wait while all those previews render, then
you can open the subdirectory you were headed for, wait for previews to
render there, etc.  This may have improved in later versions, or maybe
not.

Windows Explorer used to save all those thumbnails as files, creating
massive clutter in the file system; I wonder if the mystery .lnk files
mentioned above may have something to do with that process.  I have
found the "windows classic" User Interface option with image previews
turned off waaaay cleaner, faster, and easier to use than the various
"latest and greatest" default User Experience configurations.