Re: [Gimp-user] Scanner/Camera menu item not available

On 04/10/2017 07:15 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
On 2017-04-09 03:32 AM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
Is there anything for Linux systems that competes with XSane?

Another program for scanning is VueScan. IIRC, the website states they
also support older scanners. I think they are also supposed to handle
scanners that have the ability to scan slides.

Regarding VueScan, I have used the free version, and quickly paid for the pro version. It is worth every single penny. The owner has quickly and very helpfully responded to my technical questions which dealt with scanning issues, not product issues. I am just a user and have no relationship with the product or owner. However, I could not imagine using any other product and would have been happy to pay much more for it.

An additional benefit, other than dozens of other useful features, of VueScan: If you want to create a calibration for your scanner(s) [using a color target you have to obtain elsewhere], you can load that calibration from within VueScan. It really helps deal with the color problems caused by some scanners, or just some problems caused by scanners as their electronics age.

And yes, it can deal with slide scanners, etc., etc., etc. Their scanner list is in the hundreds of models.

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay JaySmith com  mailto:Jay JaySmith com
website: http://www.JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA