[Gimp-user] image fit-to-window on open?

I am surprised that I can't seem to google this, but:

How can I have GIMP fit the image to the window when it opens it?

Prefs -> Image Windows -> Initial zoom ration: "Show entire image" is selected, but neither shows the entire image nor fits it to the window. My camera images open at 25% zoom, which results cropping off the top and bottom of the window, and requiring a ctrl-shift-J on every opened image to be able to see it all.

(This is with 2.9.5, but it's been this way as long as I recall.)

Thanks!

-c