[Gimp-user] Making large prints

Hello Folks, Downloaded this program , and I think it is an excellent program.
Never done much editing before, so im kinda lost.
Been reading through the manuals and cannot seem to find how to make large
prints.
Im wanting  to make a print that is bigger than my printer can make.
knowing that , i know there is a way to  print a large print and then piece it
together.
Im wanting to make a print that is the same size as my canvas that im painting
on.
I like to paint from photos, and i like my photos to be the same size as my
canvas
My canvas that im painting on is 20 by 16, so I like for my photos that i paint
from to be  the same size.
My printer of course is not a 24 inch printer, it is just a all in one Hp
printer. And can only print *8.5 by 11.5.
I know that you can print several pieces of a photo and then piece it together
as one photo with tape or glue.
So i will print several different images of a photo and then piece it together
as one , to paint from..

Can someone help a fellow out?
Thx
RobertC