Re: [Gimp-user] Scripting, toggles and accessing the application state

On 30/09/16 10:56, John Smith wrote:
Question 1) Can I add a layer mask, make it active, add some noise, blur
the thing, get a selection from a previously saved alpha channel and all
that sort of things through scripts. Don't tell me how, I just want to know
if I can do it.

Yes

Question 2) Can I access the application state through scripts? I mean is
it possible to know if a layer mask is already added to the active layer

Yes

or if the layer palette is visible?

No. Scripts have no direct control on the UI.

Question 3) As far as I understand it, it is not possible to have toggles
at the moment. Ctrl z twice will cancel 2 actions instead of undoing and
redoing the last action. Am I right?

There are parts of the UI that are toggles (for instance, Tab to show/hide dialogs, or Ctrl-T to show/hide the selection). It is normally useful to undo several steps in most applications, and I don't remember ever using an application where Ctrl-Z is a toggle as you describe (but there s no real standard for the "redo" shortcut)

You'll find there are two languages supported out of the box to write scripts: the historical script-fu (a LISP dialect), and Python. Unless you are already well versed in LISP/Scheme, use Python.