[Gimp-user] Paint tools locked up in Gimp 2.9

I am doing a rather involved layer blending project. I decided to go with gimp
2.9.5 to take advantage of the extra color depth. I completed the project and
saved as an XCF file. Later I reopened and tried to paint on the layer masks to
do a bit of fine tuning. Brush, Pencil, Airbrush and Bucket fill are having no
effect on layer masks or the layers themselves. I checked to make sure that I
did not have an active but hidden selection, that pixels were not locked, that
transparency was not protected.

I tried opening a new image and discovered that the paint tools are also locked
up for that image as well. I am at a complete loss. Any ideas?

--
dallypost (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)