[Gimp-user] Barely skilled user - How to put a clear layer with test on top of a .gif image

I am looking for a way to add a layer to a gif image upon which I can add
text, a layer that is transparent and will not move or flash, like writing
on a window behind which there is action.

My thanks to everyone who sent possible answers to my question.  I tried to
implement them as I was reading the Gimp User Manual.  I am not a skilled
user.  I am learning as I go.  I had no idea that Python is a way of
writing scripts for Gimp.  I do not know where to find my Gimp profile.  I
am not kidding.  The user manual does not mention it.

I am most appreciative of any help that you can offer.  I am a personal
user, helping my roomie to improve her blog.

My thanks in advance

Paula

--

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*