Re: [Gimp-user] HELP putting words in 3d curved around a globe

The whole layer width is mapped to the full equator. If you want the text to remain in the visible hemisphere, just add margins left and right to its layer.

Also, AFAIK, the aspect ratio of the layer determines the aspect ratio of the sphere, so if you want a sphere you have to apply the filter to a 1:1 layer. But... the height of the layer is mapped on a half meridian while the width is mapped on a full equator, the end result being that a square at the equator is stretched to a 2:1 rectangle. So you have to:

1) start with a 2:1 picture
2) Put your text on the center square
3) Scale down horizontally only to 50% to obtain a 1:1 image
3) Apply map to sphere