Re: [Gimp-user] Image file format of the future?

On Fri, 2016-10-28 at 11:03 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
Is there some new file format (new version of jpeg?) in progress and
will Gimp support this?

There's PNG, which can do up to 16 bits per channel.

There are a number of variations on JPEG that have sprung up to try and
meet this need. For sure a mix of deep colour (both higher bit depth
and wider gamut) and colour management is driving colour on the Web
right now. This is coming from TV screens and the HDMI interface and
probably computer games.

I'm going to guess we'll see a stronger push for something over the
next couple ofyears; I've alreay heard talk of revising PNG too (it
already supports higher bit depth but not e.g. 2-channel images, and
compression schemes have advanced considerably).

There will be GIMP support if and when someone writes it and
contributes it :-)

It'd also be nice to add support to the colour pickers for the newer
CSS syntax(es) for colours, but that's still evolving right now.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam holoweb net>
Words and Puctures From Old Books - http://www.fromoldbooks.org/