Re: [Gimp-user] Workflow through scripting

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Ofnuts wrote:

So you see my problem is NOT to unlearn Photoshop as someone said. I have
the time and capacities to adjust a program to my needs, provided the
program can send me the right information. Can I get the information
needed? I meant the program knows what tool is selected or if there is a
layer mask, or what layer is below my cursor. Can I have access to that
information?

Your problem is still to unlearn Photoshop. Here you are focusing on one
specific task, but differences are all over the place. Gimp is not a
Photoshop clone, it is an image editing application on its own right, with
its own ways. You are going to spend a lot more time coding than Gimping.
For what it's worth, you would  not be the first to try, and there used to
be a a Gimp fork called GimpShop (don't use the version you'll find of the
web, since the project has been hijacked and is now mostly a vector for
malware).

Maybe you should stick to Photoshop. Or maybe you should use Gimp which I
have heard is somewhat easier to script, so maybe you can handle your 500
layers in very different ways if you look at the problem from a Gimp
perspective.

Personally, I have a problem understanding your response.

John asked a very specific question and outlined the exact features
he's missing to get his job done. No amount of unlearning Photoshop
will get GIMP to send the data that he needs. Those are completely
orthogonal things.

Alex