Re: [Gimp-user] can't Name on new layer other than "g" or "G" or "ggggg" etc

First, upgrade to OS 10.11.5. Restart again after the computer restarts after installation. I don’t know why,
but some macs need that second boot to get everything in order—possibly a timing issue.

Your problem may be related to a timing issue, too, or to some other software. Have you recently installed
new RAM or a new SSD? If it isn’t Apple or OWC, there is a possibility of a timing problem between the two.
(Just had and fixed this problem, myself.) This is the least likely, but  hardest to diagnose.

Are you running any non-native security software? Uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. These
programs are the cause of many software conflicts, especially in OS’s after 10.6.8. They are also unnecessary
if you follow reasonable safe computing practices.

Have you modified keyboard shortcuts for the OS, or for any other input devices such as a graphics tablet, or
any other software (such as a word processor)? Reset to default and restart.

Finally, have you tried resetting the keyboard shortcuts to their default in GIMP? Restart both OS and GIMP
after doing so.

Ross