[Gimp-user] can't Name on new layer other than "g" or "G" or "ggggg" etc

Hello,
I have been using gimp for about a year now and I love the software but I do not like how I cannot seem to
type on new layers =. My software keeps thinking I’m trying to use shortcuts. All my layers end up being
named “g” or Capitalized G or just a bunch of g’s. I have been reading on some forums.. and they say just
disable the shortcuts all together. I love using Keyboard shortcuts I definitely do not want to do that. I
have tried minimizing all the windows except for the main window thinking that would no it.. to no avail. Can
someone help me? IM using a Macbook pro on 10.11.3 el capitan. Using the latest version of Gimp.

Jacob Bryan
Florida Cell Repair,LLC
(386) 269-4265