[Gimp-user] Crash when opening/processing files in quick succession

Over the last two days I've processed about 500 JPG files.  Typically:

Open, auto levels (on F10 key) or manual, Crop or resize, maybe unsharp
mask, overwrite (F9 key) with my default jpeg settings.  each takes between
1 and 3 minutes.  So fairly leisurely.

But the next group has already been processed for crop and size so all I
need to is auto levels and over rewrite, keying:

Ctrl-O, ↓, ↓, Ent, F10, F9, Ent, Ctrl-W Ctrl-D

Open, down-arrow twice to select next image, enter, auto-levels, overwrite,
enter, close, discard changes.

It's very rapid, processing four or five images a minute...

But after 5 or 6 images Gimp crashes  —  here are bits from the crash report

Segfault happened at: 0x71524: cmp %eax,(%r12)
PC(0x00715254) ok
source (%eax" ok
destination "(%r12)" (0x00000000) not located in a known VMA region (needed
writable region)!

gimp 2.8.12-0trusty2~ppa [prigin:LP-PPA-otto-kesselgulasch-gimp]
gimp-2.8 crashed with SUGSEGV in file_open_image()
and64
Ubunty 14.04
Unity
Ubuntu 3.13.0-91.138-generic 3.13.11-ckt39

4-core hyperthreaded (so 8 virtual) 16 Gb RAM, gimp allocated 8195 tile
cache memory.

Computers a supposed to be faster than mere humans so I'm boggled that this
should happen just because I'm doing things more rapidly than before.

Is there a fix?

I don't want to batch script because I need to eyeball the images to catch
the occasional ones where auto-levels is a bad idea.

Matthew