Re: [Gimp-user] Positioning an image.

On 11/07/16 16:47, MikeS wrote:
I'm clearly not thinking about this correctly.
I'm trying to create Facebook banners. I have a rectangle with an image on the
left and some text in the upper right  Kind of looks like a business card. I'd
like to put an image on the right side  under my text.
I THINK I should create a layer and paste an image into the layer, and I've been
able to do that except that it always winds up in the upper left corner. No
matter what I try I don't seem to be able to re position that layer(image).

I've attached my "base image" with text, and my "image to insert"

What am I doing wrong?
Can someone help me with a step by step process. (when I search, I find bits and
pieces that I've been unable to string together into something that works)

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/253/original/MikeS-Facebook_Banner-2016-01-23_v3.xcf
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/254/original/The_Loft.jpg

No, you don't create a layer and paste an image in it, you use either "Edit>Paste as>New layer" or "File>Open as layers" and pick the image file using the file selector. In both cases you end up with your image in a new layer. As long as that image remains on a layer distinct from the rest, moving and scaling it shouldn't be a problem.