[Gimp-user] Positioning an image.

I'm clearly not thinking about this correctly.
I'm trying to create Facebook banners. I have a rectangle with an
image on the left and some text in the upper right  Kind of looks like
a business card. I'd like to put an image on the right side  under my
text.
I THINK I should create a layer and paste an image into the layer, and
I've been able to do that except that it always winds up in the upper
left corner. No matter what I try I don't seem to be able to re
position that layer(image).

I've attached my "base image" with text, and my "image to insert"

What am I doing wrong?
Can someone help me with a step by step process. (when I search, I
find bits and pieces that I've been unable to string together into
something that works)

I also would like to know how to fit an image to a layer. Can GIMP "flow/resize"
the image to fit the layer or must I create the image outside of GIMP to be the
exact size of the layer that I intend to past it into?

--
MikeS (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)