Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus?

On 07/07/2016 10:19 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

I would recommend uninstalling AVG and replacing it with Avast, as a
first step in troubleshooting "generic" virus reports from AVG.
Needless to say, download programs only from the websites of their
original makers, etc. etc.

It looks like Avast is replacing AVG with Avast:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/07/avast-acquires-rival-avg-for-1-3-billion-to-create-a-security-software-giant/

I seem to recall something about AVG getting bought & sold a couple of
times during the process of its deterioration.  Last I heard Avast was
still working tolerably well.  I also hear good things about Kaspersky,
but have never seen it in action.

It's been a couple of years since I messed with any of the above, and
then, only when cleaning out other people's machines.  The problems all
of the above attempt to control are unique to Microsoft products, and I
ran out of practical uses for those a decade or so ago.

:o)