Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP files - corrupted by generic virus?

On 6 July 2016 at 20:23, Steve Kinney <admin pilobilus net> wrote:

On 07/06/2016 06:55 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
Hi Sally.

Sally Davies (sa davies talktalk net) wrote:
I've recently installed GIMP - in June 2016. My antivirus software is AVG.
It has picked up corrupted GIMP files, saying that there is a generic virus
involved:

Where exactly did you download Gimp?

Please note that there are tons of download sites, that might very well
host a malware-injected package of gimp. We strongly encourage
downloading from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ for that very reason.

I might add that "generic virus" appears to indicate that heuristics
detected something that looks like a virus (or worm or exploit or...) to
AVG but is not in its virus signature database.  AVG itself has a
history of "downhill progress" over the last several years and I have
recently seen indications that it tends to throw false positive virus
warnings.

I would recommend uninstalling AVG and replacing it with Avast, as a
first step in troubleshooting "generic" virus reports from AVG.
Needless to say, download programs only from the websites of their
original makers, etc. etc.

It looks like Avast is replacing AVG with Avast:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/07/avast-acquires-rival-avg-for-1-3-billion-to-create-a-security-software-giant/

:o)