Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.9.2 and Nef files

* cscj01 <forums gimpusers com> [01-17-16 03:22]:
If I open a NEF file directly in 2.9.2, the image opens at 100% and is about the
size of a postage stamp.  The Pull-Down below the file list Select File Type
contains Automatically Detected.  It seems Gimp is opening the Thumbnail.  On
the other hand, if I go to the pull-down Select File Type and choose .nef, the
file opens properly.  My guess here is that Automatically Detected is not
working.  Or is this possibly a bug?

"nef" is a proprietary format used by Nikon and maybe other I don't know,
but gimp cannot read it.  What you see the the thumbnail contained withing
the closed format file.  You need to use ufraw to open an pass the file to
gimp. You didn't say what operating system you use, but instructions are
easily found using google search.