Re: [Gimp-user] How to shrink photo, retain quality?? Business card design

Hi,

additionally to Richards advice:

On  12.2.2016 at 7:59 PM Joeyf wrote:

How can I shrink a large photo of myself at 2800x4200 pixels to fit vertically
on a business card that is 2.5"x3.5" (around 200x150 pixels) without losing
quality? I know whenever an image is resized quality will be lost, so how to
other companies fit images of people on business cards that look good?

I don't know how other companies do this job, but I'm sure there are
many ways to do it.
The GIMP way is to use Image -> Scale Image ..., the Scale Tool or
Layer -> Scale Layer AND use a suitable interpolation.
Interpolation=None gives the worst results. I would recommend Sinc (Lanczos3) or Cubic. If none of the interpolation methods returns
acceptable results, you could try the following plug-ins:

Scale2x: http://registry.gimp.org/node/24746
Scale in steps: http://registry.gimp.org/node/9676

GIMP 2.9 has dropped the 'Sinc (Lanczos3)' method (why?), but has 'NoHalo' and 'LoHalo' now.
Your preferred Raw converter or ImageMagick could also be a choice.

BTW I could not find any Downscale method in the G'Mic plug-in,
which usually adds some more interesting filters. Have I missed something?

I'm interested to read what finally did a good job for you.

Greetings

Sven

Sie interessieren sich für wunderschöne Malereien,
Märchenbücher und Heimtextilien?
Dann schauen Sie mal rein: http://www.unikate4you.de !