Re: [Gimp-user] copy and moving

On 12/08/2016 11:10 AM, cssgimp wrote:
I'm sure there is a simple way to do this but I  can't find it.  I just want to
grab part of an image and either move that or copy that and move it to another
place on my image.  How do I do that?

To grab part of an image, turn on a selection tool, select the part you
want, then do Control+c to Copy the selected region.  Or do Edit > Copy,
that's the "slow" way.  Then paste your copied region into the image by
doing Control+v, or the slow way by using Edit > Paste.

Now you have something you can grab and move around:  The copy of the
selected region that appears on the image canvas it called a "float."
You can move it around via click and drag, or by using the arrow keys on
your keyboard.

Once the pasted selection is where you want it, you can merge it down
into the layer it was copied from by clicking the Anchor icon at the
bottom of the Layers dialog dock, or by doing Control+h on your keyboard.

Or you can make it into a layer of its very own:  Click the Create A New
Layer button at the bottom of the Layers dialog dock, or do
Shift+Control+n on your keyboard.  You might want to do that if you need
to work on the pasted-in area by itself (i.e. change its size, rotate
it, adjust color and brightness, etc.), or make more copies of it, or
move it around more later.

:o)